================================================================

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Attack Lust with the Sword of the Spirit

Before I present today’s challenge, let me first remind you that one of the primary goals to which God’s people are always being called is to believe God and His Word. Adam and Eve were presented with this test, and they failed. The people of Israel failed it many times as well. Finally, the Second Adam, the True Israel, our Example passed the test, showing us the power of the written Word of God, our “Sword of the Spirit” (Eph. 6:17).

Men, are you greatly tempted and perhaps even often defeated by the lust of the eyes? Then I would like to encourage you to pick up your Sword, and accept this challenge with me:

“As of this ____ day of the ____ month in the year of our Lord ____, by the grace of God and the power of His Holy Spirit, I hereby declare that,
– since I am not my own, but I have been bought with a price and therefore must glorify God in my body and in my spirit which belong to God (I Cor. 6:20), I will henceforth love God with all of my being, including my mind (Mark 12:30), and
– since my body also belongs to my wife (I Cor. 7:4), I will love my wife as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for it (Eph. 5:25), and
– since I am not to lust after a woman’s beauty in my heart (Prov. 6:25) but rather to abstain from fornication (I Thess. 4:3), I will mortify my members on the earth, including lust and fornication (Col. 3:5), and
– since Christ has set me free from the law of sin and death (Rom. 8:2), I will walk in newness of life (Rom. 6:4) and in step with the Holy Spirit (Gal. 5:16, 25), and
– since I have made a covenant with my eyes (Job 31:1), I will henceforth set no wicked thing before my eyes (Psalm 101:3). Amen.”

No comments: