================================================================

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Twist and Shout

“Twist and Shout!” There used to be a good bit of that in some of the churches with which I was familiar as a child – twistin’ the Scriptures and shoutin’ for 1-2 hours. There may not be quite as much shoutin’ nowadays, but some of ‘em are still “doin’ the twist.”

Ya know how it goes … yer standin’ at the edge of a cliff, prayin’, “Lord, Yer Word says that You’ll give Yer angels charge over me, to bear me up, lest I go dashin’ my foot against a stone, and if I’m abidin’ in Christ, then what applies to Him applies to me, right? So now I’m claimin’ Yer Word and trustin’ in them mighty angels to bear me up – all fer Yer glory! – as I throw myself down off this here rocky cliff. … And I, uh, … I …, I praise Ya now fer what Yer gonna’ do. And I …, I …, well, huh, I think I fergot to leave a tract for that waitress back at the donut shop. I’d better go take care o’ that first.” Y’all know how it is …; I’m sure y’all can relate ….

But now wait! That does sound just a mite bit familiar …. Oh, yes; now I remember: Jesus Christ was faced with a similar temptation, wasn’t He? But what was it He said? Oh, that’s right – “It is also written, …,” Matthew 4:7. He didn’t say, “Yeah, right, Satan, like I’m gonna fall for that.” He didn’t directly accuse the Accuser of taking the verse out of context. Christ didn’t even deny the verse’s application to Himself. He refused to apply one Scriptural passage in such a way that would require express disobedience to another passage.

Sadly, many church members’ perspective of balance is too much like that drunk, of which Martin Luther speaks, who, upon falling off the left side of a horse, climbs back atop the horse with the determination to achieve balance by, next time, falling off the right side of the horse.

No comments: