================================================================

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Lust Ain't No Lady

.......Darkness … and noise. What awful noise! Like howling and moaning, backgrounded by somewhat of a guttural growl. Where am I? How did I get here? What was I doing just befor- … – oh… yeah, now I remember.
.......She had called and said she had a plumbing emergency. She needed me as soon as possible. My family was away for a few days, so I had plenty of time …; and, of course, this wasn’t the first time.
.......Some time back, even before I was married, I had seen her – so full of wonders and pleasures. She seemed to know just how to arouse my curiosity. But when I told her what others had told me, that I had no right to see what she wanted to show me and that she was a deceiving enslaver, she assured me she would let me be the one in control and that I was only satisfying my curiosity about one of God’s great created wonders.
.......Nine months later, he was born, this child of mine and my Desire, my mistress. Somewhat surprised by it all, I hadn’t really thought of a name. Someone had the idea of naming him “Sin.” Not sure where that came from, but I guess it was appropriate enough. So that became his name; although we usually called him everything but ….
.......Well, from his earliest days, he was quite demanding. Of course, it was all harmless enough, so we met his demands. Besides I only met his demands because I wanted to, certainly not because of any fear of him. But as babies do, he grew … and grew … and grew. Isn’t it amazing how your offspring can become so much bigger than you! As much as I hate to admit it, some of the time when I gave in to his demands, it wasn’t only because I wanted to anymore. He simply made it difficult to say, “No.” Oh, I’m pretty sure that I could’ve said “No” to him whenever I wanted.

.......So anyway, my friend had this plumbing emergency, ya know. So I hurried to her house. She must’ve heard me pull up because, as soon as I reached her door, she told me to “come on in.” I saw no signs of an emergency – no water all over the floor, no septic smells – quite the opposite really. Perfume, riding a cool breeze through an open door leading to the basement, from where I heard her voice again. So maybe there was an emergency after all. But if there was, I forgot all about it when I saw her, lying on a beautifully-decorated canopy bed, rose petals and candles all around.
.......I didn’t think we’d been down there for very long when, suddenly, a pounding and smashing was heard through the house. We had hardly time to think about it all when they came tearing down the stairs. Her husband, with a baseball bat in hand, being pushed by … a giant – a giant who looked all too familiar.
.......Great pain! My bare back … he broke it. Excruciating pain! Throbbing heat, pounding through my head. A few seconds – an eternity – I must’ve passed out.

James 1:14-15 – “Every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.”

No comments: